One of the common methods of detecting fraud is when the employee is away and another person undertakes their responsibilities. Some tips in relation to detecting fraud by making people take their holidays include:
- Have a policy that requires employees to take at least part of the annual leave / holidays each year;
- Have employees trained in other rolls;
- When an employee takes leave / holidays, another employee should step into the roll;
- If an employee, while on leave, comes into the office “just to get a few things up to date”, question the need for them to be there and what they are doing;
- Determine if an employee on leave needs access to the organisations systems (including banking) – if not, deactivate access while they are away.